The SCX10™ II Trail Honcho™ is the reliable choice for scale trail fun! For the past nine years the SCX10™ has been the staple vehicle platform for scale trail enthusiasts around the world. When it’s you, the trail and your rig, you want the tried, and true. You want real world community tested, hobby shop supported, aftermarket supported with close to ten years of history and scale trail adventures. The Trail Honcho™, built on the SCX10™ II chassis, meets the demands and the rigors of scale trailing miles from home when you need reliability the most!
When it’s time for adventure, you want a rig that allows you to think the unthinkable and go out and accomplish it. The SCX10™ II Trail Honcho™ is all about exploring the full size world in scale, making it a true adventure machine.
Equipped for heavy duty trailing – AX10™ transmission, single-piece AR44 axles, Method Hole wheels, Falken Wildpeak M/T tires and a set of four LED lights – the Trail Honcho™ takes the lead and puts your stamina to the test.
The Redonda Ridge Trail, within the mountains of Big Bear California, is mostly used by off road motorcyclist, and revered as the Malcolm Smith Trail due to it’s technical tenacity.
The trail was recently re-visited by one of Axial’s own; part of a crew who had traversed the 9.68 mile OHV trail a few times in the past on motorcycles. The thought came about that it would make for a great SCX10™ proving ground, thus the idea was conceptualized to hike the trail, and put the latest version of the Trail Honcho™ through its paces, to uphold the “Trail Honcho” name by putting it on a “black diamond” trail for full size vehicles. Axial takes toys seriously, plays seriously, and made plans to go the extra mile to showcase the Axial SCX10™ Trail Honcho™ in it’s true, namesake terrain.
- Length: 19.25″ (489mm)
- Width: 8.9″ (226mm)
- Height: 9.4″ (223.4mm)
- Stock Wheelbase: 12.3″ (312.4mm), adjustable to 11.4″ (289mm) or 12.0″ (305mm) with optional link kits sold separately
- Ground Clearance: 3.0″ (77mm)
- Weight: 4.5lbs (2.04kg) approximately, with electronics
- Optimized Gear Ratio: 3.75:1
- Final Drive Ratio (FDR): 40.44, stock (33.69-54.15 with different spur/pinion gear combinations, extra spur and pinion gears must be purchased separately)
- Body: Length: 17.2″ (438mm), Width: 8″ (203mm), Height: 5.5″ (140mm)
- Chassis: Scale steel C-channel side rails with adjustable body mount, adjustable bumper mounts with swaybar mounting points, mounting points for optional 2-speed and servo winch, adjustable chassis mounted servo system
- Drive: Full time 4WD locked drivetrain with WB8 HD Wild Boar driveshafts, UVJ style front driveshafts for up to 45° of steering angle, full ball bearing drivetrain
- Transmission: AX10 three gear layout, metal motor plate, adjustable ratio for high speed or competition level crawling speed
- Slipper Clutch: Dual pad design for added surface area, 32P gear pitch for high-torque applications
- Motor: 35-turn, brush equipped, water resistant, integrated cooling fan
- Radio: Tactic TTX200 2-channel SLT radio with TR325 Receiver, steering and throttle end point adjustment & reverse, pushbutton steering and throttle trim
- Steering Servo: Tactic TSX45 metal gear, water resistant, 151oz/in torque rating, dual ball bearings
- ESC: AE-5L waterproof, switchable between LiPo or NiMH operation with a simple jumper, Star plug battery connector, built-in LED light controller (NOTE LED leads are not compatible with old Axial LED light strings, or third-party LED light strings)
- Spur Gear: 56T 32-pitch, plastic construction
- Pinion Gear: 15T 32-pitch, steel construction
- LED Lights: Four white for head lights and turn signal markers, and two red lights for tail lights
- Battery Tray: Easy access front mount, accommodates batteries up to 5.75 x 1.2″ (147 x 32mm) 5000mAh 3s, with battery posts in position dimensions are reduced to 5.4 x .94″ (138 x 24mm)
- Front and Rear Axles: Hardened steel
- AR44 Hi-Pinion Axle: Hypoid cut CNC metal gears, optimized gear ratio for reduced torque twist, optional gearing choices, one-piece axle housing, increased clearance, larger load rated bearings for durability, 8° kingpin axle eliminates tire scrub, single piece axle housing, one-piece all metal locker, 10° increment adjustments for knuckle carriers and straight axle adapters, optimized gear ratio; 3.75 compared to 2.92 previously, for less torque twist
- Body: Painted Trail Honcho
- Front Bumper: Scale tube design with aluminum skid plates
- Wheels: 1.9″ Method Hole, 1.02″ (26mm) wide, 2.12″ (53.9mm) tall, 12mm hex, matte black finish
- Tires: 1.9″ Falken Wildpeak M/T, aggressively treaded Mud Terrain tread with amazing traction on many surfaces, 4.7″ (119.4mm) tall, 1.5″ (38.1mm) wide
- Shocks: Coil over, oil filled, steel springs, white in color
- Suspension: Optimized suspension geometry with integrated mounts upper and lower aluminum links, 4-link design reduces axle steer and torque twist, and guards against suspension wrap-up in high-power applications, all steel links
- Steering: Proper CMS geometry using 3-link setup with panhard bar, 45° steering angle